Sand Art

I have officially made it through another week of school! I really do have some sweet kiddos this year! We have a field trip coming up next month so our deposit and class t-shirt money was due yesterday so we had quite a busy day (and a little bit of drama). Anyway, I wanted to share a little art project we do every year. We have started our Native American unit in Social Studies, which I LOVE to teach and learn about myself! I think it's so interesting and it has to do with our upcoming field trip. Every year we do a sand painting! Yesterday I had each group do one as a group, but we will do it individuallly as well! Here is how they turned out! Sorry for such bad picture. I forgot my camera and just used my phone to take it.
We call it "sand" painting, but it's not actually sand. We use this:
and this:
Pour some grits in a ziploc bag, add a few drops of food coloring and rubbing alcohol. Shake it up and there you go! We also mix colors to create new ones! It's a cute and fun activity for the kids! Social Studies is probably my favorite subject so I love to find fun ways to make it exciting for them!

2 comments

  1. WOW - very cool. Thanks for sharing. You have great energy - I can feel it. Just added your site to my blogroll. Have a FUNtastic year!

    Barbara
    The Corner On Character

    ReplyDelete
  2. I nominated you as a Top 10 recipient of one of the awesome blogs that make me smile:) Here is the link for that

    http://4thgradefrolics.blogspot.com/2011/09/some-of-my-top-10.html and this link to get your award button http://bit.ly/rtHPbL. Thanks for the inspiration!!

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top