Saturday, December 3, 2011

Read aloud & literature circles

In Social Studies we just finished studying the American Revolution and we learned about the events leading up to it, the major battles, and how minorities played a part on the revolution. To coincide, we started reading The Secret Soldier, the story of Deborah Sampson, a woman who disguised herself as a man and fought in the war. We will finish the story on Monday.


I highly recommend this book! The kids are so interested in it. We usually read 2 chapters and then do literature circles. Each group gets question cards to read & discuss with their groups. Then, we share aloud.


The photo above is 2 Christmas ornaments that my students created at home using their net that I gave them! I thought the one on the right was so creative! And yes, that little cutie in the green picture frame is my son, Easton. He is my pride & joy!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments :

  1. I just wanted to thank you for how incredibly helpful and generous you are with your ideas. I just mentioned your use of this book on my blog because I have been inspired by your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great choice! Check out this title on Amazon - he Revolutionary War: An Interactive History Adventure
    Its a book where the kids become characters and make choicec how it'll end. Here's the link - http://www.amazon.com/Revolutionary-War-Interactive-History-Adventure/dp/1429639121/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323053750&sr=8-1

    Also, just wanted to stop by and share my new GIVEAWAY with you :)
    You can WIN a $20 Gift Card for Amazon and shop till you drop :)

    Come by & enter to WIN!
    http://www.ateacherstreasure.com/2011/11/treasured-giveaway-20-amazon-gift-card.html

    Happy Holidays!

    ❤ Mor Zrihen ❤
    A Teacher's Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you read the book out loud? as a class? Individually? I'm always curious about how other people do lit circles. I haven't fallen in love with them yet ... what kind of questions cards do you have them do together? Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete