Monday, May 20, 2013

End of Year Reflections

I am linking up with Miss Lifesaver today to participate in her linky, called End of Year Reflections!  In my Masters class, I've talked all about how important reflection is for students and teachers, so here we go!  She asked three questions related to our year.

Question 1: What was the biggest professional challenge you faced this year? 

Two things come to my mind.  First, I have to say that I've got a wonderful class with very smart students, but I also have a student that struggles more than any student I've ever had.  This child is basically illiterate, has very little number sense, and struggles tremendously.  It's been challenging to teach students that are higher than I've ever taught and lower than I've ever taught, all in the same room.

The other thing that comes to my mind is being asked to move to 5th grade next year. Although, that may be a professional challenge next year as I learn new standards!  

Question 2:  What was the biggest personal challenge you faced this year?  

The biggest personal challenge I've faced this year is definitely BALANCE.  As I have worked on my masters online this year, I have really had to learn how to balance my life as a teacher, a wife, a mother, and a student.  I won't lie, it has not been easy.  Many nights I got about five hours of sleep because I stay up late working on masters work.  I've tried to take away as little time as possible from my son during this process. The good news is that I am ALMOST done!  I will finish the first week of July!!!

Question 3:  How do you think you've grown from your experience?  I have learned several things that I have applied from my masters courses.  I feel that as a teacher I grow each year.  I also am embracing my upcoming transition from 4th grade to 5th grade.  I've taught with a wonderful teacher who was my mentor and who is my best friend here in SC.  I've learned so much from her!  

3 comments :

  1. Thanks so much for linking up! I was afraid no one would! haha I applaud you for taking on grad classes along with working full time AND being a wife and mother. I can't imagine adding parenting to the list - I don't know that I could have done it. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that finding that balance can be so hard sometimes! During the school year, it seems like we could all just go without sleep and still not have everything done! :) I'm starting my Master's in the fall, so thanks for the fair warning, haha! Congrats to you on that awesome accomplishment while continuing to teach and be a good mommy!

    ReplyDelete