Fiction Friday & Favorite Pins

Today I am linking up with Fiction Friday at The Teaching Thief and Favorite Pins Friday with The First Grade Parade!  I love both of these linky's!  
Last week I wrote about the book Bud, Not Buddy.  In that book, Deza, the main character of The Mighty Miss Malone was introduced.  This book is by the same author, Christopher Paul Curtis.  I really enjoyed reading this book.  I highly recommend it if you teach The Great Depression era.  I'll definitely use it as a read aloud next year!
Summary of the book:

We are a family on a journey to a place called wonderful” is the motto of Deza Malone’s family. Deza is the smartest girl in her class in Gary, Indiana, singled out by teachers for a special path in life. But the Great Depression hit Gary hard, and there are no jobs for black men. When her beloved father leaves to find work, Deza, Mother, and her older brother Jimmie go in search of him, and end up in a Hooverville outside Flint, Michigan. Jimmie’s beautiful voice inspires him to leave the camp to be a performer, while Deza and Mother find a new home, and cling to the hope that they will find Father. The twists and turns of their story reveal the devastation of the Depression and prove that Deza truly is the Mighty Miss Malone.



Next up is Favorite Pins Friday! You should be able to click the photo to go to the original source.
I couldn't find the original post for this picture.  It just took me to a larger image of it, but I love this iRead bulletin board.  I think you could also let students write a summary of a book they've read instead of using a picture.  Either way, it's super cute!!
It seems like I've read this book once before so I was glad when I saw it on Pinterest.  This book tells about a historic chapel that survived the terrorist attacks of September 11th.  Since I teach about 9/11, this would be a good read aloud!
One of my favorite questions on this Reading Interest Inventory is "How many books do you have in your home library?"  Just as she states on her blog, this will give the teacher a good idea of the family as readers.
This next picture is a link to a site that tells/shows 40 places you should take your child before they move out.  Look at that amazing water park!!  I loved this list and would SO love to go to a lot of places on it!
This is a similar link called What to do with kids in Atlanta.  We travel through Atlanta all the time when we travel home.  After reading this list, we may need to make a weekend trip to Atlanta! 

6 comments

  1. Oh, another Christopher Paul Curtis book and it sounds wonderful! Thanks for linking up. :)

    Amanda

    P.S. That iRead bulletin board is ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lana!
    I love everything about this post!
    I read The Little Chapel that Stood every year.
    (And every year I cry about the boots left on the fence...)
    Thanks for the bulletin board suggestion...
    AND the new Christopher Paul Curtis book!

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never heard of The Little Chapel that Stood, I'll need to check that one out! Thanks!
    Erin
    Short and Sassy Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Mighty Miss Malone is on my reading list for the summer (along with about 100 other books:).

    Thank you for sharing.

    Mary
    Fit to be Fourth
    fittobefourth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for pinning my reading interest inventory Lana! :O) I'm glad it will be useful to you! I use Bud Not Buddy in my literature circles and I can't wait to get my hands on The Mighty Miss Malone! Thanks for sharing!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top