Fiction Friday

Last summer I loved linking up with Amanda's Fiction Friday.  I have meant to link up this summer, but between being busy and vacationing, this is my first link up!  
I've bought lots of new books to use in 5th grade next year, specifically ones that will integrate with my Social Studies content.  The first book I read is called Bud, Not Buddy.  Bud, Not Buddy is a historical fiction book written by Christopher Paul Curtis.  Below is a summary I found online.
It's 1936, in Flint, Michigan. Ten-year-old Bud may be a motherless boy on the run, but he's on a mission. His momma never told him who his father was, but she left a clue: posters of Herman E. Calloway and his famous band, the Dusky Devastators of the Depression! Bud's got an idea that those posters will lead to his father. Once he decides to hit the road and find this mystery man, nothing can stop him.
Bud, Not Buddy is full of laugh-out-loud humor and wonderful characters, hitting the high notes of jazz and sounding the deeper tones of the Great Depression.
It didn't have the "happily ever after" ending that sometimes readers expect, but it was a really good book.  It is an easy read and I was able to finish it in 2 days.  I will definitely use it as a read aloud during our study of the Great Depression. 

3 comments

  1. Just pinned it! :) We will make it through these units together. :)
    ~Brandee
    Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard WONDERFUL things about this book, but I haven't read it YET! I love using fiction to introduce students to a particular time period. It's amazing how much they learn from listening to a story. Have you heard of Lyddie by Katherine Paterson? I read it years ago and just remember loving it. I think it is around that time period. It might be worth checking out. Thanks for linking up. :)

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved doing this with my Middle Schoolers! Played some Jazz..downloaded some clips about the Great Depression..great activators to your lesson. He also wrote The Watson's go to Birmingham..another great read..funny too!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top