I thought I would share some of our first day procedures! We start the day with a teacher introduction and a read aloud. I used my Math About Me board as my introduction and read the book First Day Jitters.
I pre-print name labels and let students label materials and get everything placed where it should go. This usually takes some time and can become chaotic if you aren't careful! Afterwards, we discuss procedures, procedures, and more procedures. Here is a glance at what we discuss:
- rules, rewards, consequences
- morning routine
- hallway behavior
I discuss a few items in their student handbooks as well. We also discuss the use of student helpers, our daily schedule, and practice fire and tornado drills. Tomorrow I will really focus on our intruder drill and we will practice it.
We had short lessons in ELA, Math, and Social Studies. Here's a look at each subject:
- We colored the spines of our Reading and Writing notebooks. This helps us easily see which notebook is which in student cubbies. Orange = Reading notebook, Yellow = Writing notebook.
- Read "Have You Filled a Bucket Today?" and discussed bucket filling.
- Beach ball activity
- Anchor charts (What does Independent Reading look like/sound like? and What do students in our room need to do in order for our classroom to run smoothly?)...pictures to come!
- Colored the spine of our SS notebook blue. Here is a look at our notebooks by the end of the day!
- We began Social Studies with a short writing prompt: Why is Social Studies important?
- Students brainstormed facts to put on their Math About Me poster! This was harder for students than I had thought it would be, but I can't wait to see the final product.