Saturday, September 28, 2013

Five for Friday {Saturday 28th}

Today is my last link up for September for Five for Friday to share about my week.  I am ready to say goodbye to September for many reasons. Every week I've shared some sad or stressful news. It's been a month of changes and a month of news and a month of stress. Between the news of moving mid school year to us all being sick, I'll be glad to see October get here.
Sadly, I have something else really sad that has happened. A third grader at our school passed away this week. He was riding his bicycle and accidentally went out into the road and was hit by an 18 wheeler. It's been such a sad week. I cannot even fathom the pain his parents, family, teachers, and classmates feel. I talked to my class about it and the whole school wore green (his favorite color) on Friday.  My heart literally hurts thinking about it. Although I didn't know him personally, I've just thought about him all week. Please be in prayer for the Dalton family. 
On to a few fun things we did this week....

In Math, we have been working on decimals and have used these awesome decimal cards. Students enjoyed this activity!



In ELA, we finished our novel study on Forty Acres and Maybe a Mule. We did lots of notebooking activities to go along with this unit, such as this "Prove 'em Wrong" and "Cause & Effect" activity.
We also completed chapter summaries in our journals and wrote a letter to a character as an early finisher activity.
Our writing this week has been related to Forty Acres and Maybe a Mule. Our writing focus this nine weeks has been on narratives. Students picked a character from the book (either Pascal or Gideon) and wrote a narrative from their point of view. Y'all, I have been astounded by their writing!  Take a look at this awesome introduction!  This student is an AMAZING writer!
In Science we did a fun activity where we used the following materials: yard sticks, soccer/volley balls, and small ping pong balls. Students held the measuring stick and dropped the balls (first the ping pong, then the soccer ball) at different measurements (100 cm, 80 cm, 60 cm, 40 cm, and 20 cm). They did 3 trials at each measurement, found the sum, and then found the measurement. That made a total 15 drops for each ball. Next week we will graph our data and determine how the mass of the balls affected our results.


Next week we have our FIELD TRIP coming up! I love field trips, but I will be relieved when it's over!

5 comments :

  1. I am so sorry for your loss! My thoughts and prayers are with your school family! I like your science lesson! Thanks for sharing!
    A Tall Drink of Water

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry that you have had such a tough month! Praying for you and your school family.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry to hear about the loss of a student. The family and school community are in my thoughts and prayers.

    Mary
    Fit to be Fourth
    Follow me on Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a tragedy! My heart goes out to your community!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete