Bosley Sees the World - Book Review

Today I want to share a book with you that we have read this week. Tim Johnson from The Language Bear contacted me and asked me to review the book "Bosley Sees the World". It worked out perfectly since we have been working on the letter Bb for bear.
The following is a book description from Amazon:

Follow Bosley Bear as he discovers how big the world is and how much there is to explore and learn. Bosley is a confident and curious little bear who looks for new challenges around every corner. This is a dual language book that is designed to teach your child new words and phrases. The teaching methods used in this book allow children to learn at their own pace and enjoy the learning process. These methods include: repeat words, simple phrases, opposites, highlighted vocabulary words, contextual learning, and corresponding imagery.

This book is a dual language book and is available in Spanish, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, and Hindi. All of them provide line-by-line translations in English and the second language.
This is a very cute story about an adventurous Bosley who wants to explore the world around him - all children can relate to that, right? The illustrations are bright, colorful, and appealing to the eyes.
Throughout the text you will see green highlighted vocabulary words. At the back of the book, there is a "New Words" section that shows the both translations of the vocabulary words.
In my previous school, we did not have many learners who spoke a different language. All of my students spoke English. I did have one student once whose father spoke Spanish and a little English, but the child spoke English and only some Spanish. 

I picked out the English/Spanish version of the text because in the area that I am now in, I think it may be the most useful for me in the future. If you had learners who spoke English as a second language - or had parents who spoke little English - this book would be great! I imagine that with my previous student whose father spoke mostly Spanish, reading to the child at home might be difficult. This dual language book would be great to help encourage reading at home, even if English is the second language. Or - if you have a new student who speaks English as second language - this book might help them feel more confident and be able to enjoy reading with his/her classmates. 

This week we read the story and E seemed to really enjoy it. Even though he's Pre-K aged - this book would be suitable for older students. Overall - I would definitely recommend "Bosley Sees the World"!

1 comment

  1. This is such a cute book and would work so well In an bilingual class like the one I observe!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top