Hello, friends! I have done a poor job keeping this blog updated lately. Since moving to Georgia and becoming a stay at home mom, I find that I have less and less to blog about.
I have submitted my teaching application in the county where we live, I have sent out resumes and letters of recommendation, and even gotten an interview. But, I wanted to write today about why I may not be going back to the classroom next year.
There are a few schools in the county that I've heard great things about - schools that I would love to work at. On Tuesday, I got a call for an interview at a different school in the county - one that I didn't know a lot about - and I interviewed there yesterday. I had a few reservations going in, but I went in nervous and excited.
The interview went well. I was interviewed by four individuals - the principal, the assistant principal, the speech pathologist, and a third grade teacher. The interview seemed to be going really well. I had prepared myself for the questions I might be asked and most of the questions I had in mind were asked. There were a few things that were mentioned that went along with my initial reservations so I had a lot twirling around in my mind. Still, I felt like I answered the questions really well. And then, it was my turn to ask questions. I asked a few related to instruction, technology, etc, and then I talked about Pre-K.
See - I am in somewhat of an awkward spot this year. My son is almost four and will be going to Pre-K this Fall. I had him a spot at a place in our town that he was going two days a week now and would go fulltime this Fall for Pre-K. Except it did NOT work out. Like - no way we would continue to go there. He was not treated nicely or fairly by the other kids (three and four year olds, I might add - kids can be so mean) and the day he was punched in the head by two girls (and didn't hit back because they were girls) was the day that I said, "NO way in hell is he coming here another day" (Excuse my language, please). So when I pulled him out, I knew that he would have to go to the school I teach at - if I get a job. And if I don't get a job - we will need to have another back up plan. We have no family here so it's just us. My husband works 6 days a week and is out of town often, so a lot of the time, it's just me as the primary caretaker. I decided to bring this up at my interview because I knew we would have to be a package deal, if I even had a shot at teaching there. I gave a shorter version of this and I immediately could feel the interview going downhill fast.
I was told that their Pre-K is full and that since it is lottery funded, they have no choice in who gets in and that there was a waiting list, too. Which translated to - He can't come here based on that, which means you can't teach here, either. I wasn't surprised - all schools in the county have waiting lists and just as I told them, I knew that this would be a detriment to me this school year, but that I still felt like I needed to try this year and that I also had to make the right decision for my son, even if it came as a detriment to my teaching career for this next year.
After the quick discussion of the Pre-K situation, I was quickly told thank you for coming up and we appreciate the candor and you being up front about it. And then I let myself out of the room I was interviewed in, out the front office, and back to my car.
I left there feeling somewhat defeated, somewhat thankful, but knowing I had still made the right decision. I had initial reservations going in. I prayed to God that he would let me see what I needed to see while I was there. And I did. There were things during the interview that went along with my reservations. I felt like they stuck out to me because I had asked God to help me see what I needed to see and notice what I needed to notice. I also felt defeated because the principal said that every school in the county has a full Pre-K this year and has a waiting list, which means I have slim chance of teaching this year. As I told my husband all about my interview, I said to him, "I would have never been able to live with myself if I had kept our son at ______, knowing he was uncomfortable and feeling that he wasn't safe there - just so that I could have gotten a job this year. If I have to stay out another year so that he can go somewhere that is safe, somewhere that he is cared for, then I KNOW I made the right decision".
So, that my friends, is why I may not be going back in the classroom. I'm not giving up - I'm still going to hand out my resume and letters of recommendation and I would still interview, if given the opportunity. My son is third on the waiting list for the school we are zoned for and they do have openings. So, there could still be a chance, but I am fully prepared to stay at home another year if I need to.
Teachers will always be needed. There will be positions open the following year. In the meantime, we are going to tour a Preschool at the church we have been attending and decide if that route may be an option for my son this Fall.