First Look at my New Classroom

Yesterday I was able to go look at my new school and my new classroom! I was so curious to see what my new room would look like. Would it be a big mess? Would I have a lot of supplies left by the previous teacher? Would it be newer construction or older? Would there be carpet or tile? Would I have a nice window? A classroom library? If you've ever moved classrooms or moved schools, you know all of those questions (and many more!) too well!


I was pleasantly surprised with my first look at my new classroom! 





Most of my questions were answered after looking around. Thankfully, I didn't have a big mess. It was neat and organized somewhat. I have a LOT of craft supplies left from the previous teacher, which I am very thankful for. This area of the building is newer construction. I have carpet except for an area right as you enter the room near the sink (Woohoo for having a sink!). I was very excited to see a nice big window with a beautiful view of the trees outside. No traffic - just lush vegetation as our view. I have lots and lots of class sets of books, but basically no classroom library. There were about 5 books and another teacher gave me about 10 books. This is an area I'll be adding to by going to a local thrift shop that has lots of books.

I was a little surprised to see that there wasn't any student cubbies. Students hang their backpacks on the hooks you see in the next photo - under the leveled books. 
I was really glad to see that I have a good bit of storage! This closet held class novels and lots of craft supplies.
This was another nice area for storage. I am so excited to have a sink and a water fountain in my room! Right across the hallway is a bathroom, which is nice.
My goal yesterday was to go through EVERYTHING that was left. I was able to do this within a couple of hours. I went through all of the cabinets, drawers, etc. I also set aside an area of furniture I wanted to get rid of. I hated not using this bookshelf because it's really nice, but the only place I can see it going is in front of my nice, big window and I really didn't want to cover up that area. Instead, I'll use two shorter bookshelves that I have here at home from my previous room. I am also getting rid of the wooden teacher's desk because I have a smaller table with my computer and a huge bookshelf behind it that I can use. I didn't really see a need in keeping the wooden desk. I also got rid of the small wooden cabinet. I have lots of things I've accumulated over time that I think will better utilize the space in my new classroom. This room is smaller than my previous room, which is another reason I will need to maximize my space and not use items that are bulky or that I don't think I'll need.
I also brought a car load of supplies yesterday and was able to unload and unpack all of them. I also got my desks set up in groups. It may not seem like a huge difference in pictures, but I felt like I got a lot accomplished yesterday! I know many of you are just getting out of school so it may seem odd that I already started setting my room up, so hear me out...

No, I am not crazy! LOL! I just know starting all over is going to take a longer amount of time than I usually spend in the classroom in the summer. Also - I don't have a key yet, so I have to go when the office is open. They are closed all next week (except Monday when I have something planned for most of the day) and then I have plans for the next 7 days, so I won't be getting back until mid July. My first day to report for new employer orientation is July 24th and then I start back the following week. So....I really don't have a ton of time! Plus - I would rather do it now and enjoy that last week of summer without feeling rushed near the beginning of school.
My four year old was a PRO at school with me yesterday. I was busy working, it was HOT, but he entertained himself the entire time and didn't complain one time! I was so proud of him!

Stay tuned for my progress from day two! 

11 comments

  1. Yea!! So exciting!! I am so envious of all the beautiful storage space- how nice! I don't blame you for getting in early. It looks so nice! Congrats!!

    Cheers!
    Kelly Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you were able to get in your room!! Not knowing is always the hardest! Can't wait to see how you decorate!!
    Rachel
    A Tall Drink of Water

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your new job! Wow! Your room was left in such great condition. A few years back I had to move in a room that was a mess and packed with junk. I totally understand not wanting to feel rushed at the beginning of the school year. Especially when you at a new school. :)

    Chelsea
    Fifth Grade Wit and
    Whimsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a fantastic new space for a classroom! You have so much storage space I'm drooling! We also don't have cubbies and just have the hooks... in the winter time the jackets, coats and hoodies are on overload in that area of the room and it drives me crazy! So prepare yourself for that but seriously, amazing classroom! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks really nice! Is it a newer school? Everything looks so clean! I just moved to a new school as well, but I love the fresh start and decorating process. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did I miss that you had gotten a new job?? Congratulations! Your space looks awesome. You're kind of lucky that you can go in throughout the summer (although I know you guys start back WAY earlier than we do). Our buildings are closed up tight from week after we get out of school until about three weeks before the school year starts (although we aren't guaranteed to be let in that early). It's always so weird to me when people can go in almost whenever they want to! :)

    I can't wait to see how things turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is an awesome room! I'm envious of your storage...seriously. I know you'll be working hard and I can't wait to see the end product!

    ReplyDelete
  8. AWESOME!!!! It looks great so far. I'm glad that all of your questions you had were finally answered. I know that makes you feel much better. Can't wait to see what else you get done after your little break! :)
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a great space! I'm jealous of your sink, counter and cabinet area! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your room ~ especially the storage cabinets and sink! If you're looking to increase your class library, I have two words for you......GARAGE SALES! Last weekend I got three boxes full of books (many in complete series) all for $30. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a nice room! It's funny how it all seems to be "ok" when the desks are in place. That's when I feel like I've accomplished something. I have a new room too that I am trying to decide paint colors for. I am moving within the same building, so it's just a matter of hauling everything down some hallways, but it's gonna be an undertaking! I'm a new follower! SO glad to find another fifth grade blog. Yours looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top