The Little Library That Grew

At my previous school, I was blessed with TONS of classroom library books. I still remember when I first arrived fresh out of college unpacking boxes and boxes of books. I added several of y own books that I collected over time and had a great library. When I moved to Georgia, I had to leave behind all of the books that belonged to the school, which was about 98% of my classroom library. I brought with me all of the books that I had purchased with my own money.

Fast forward to this summer when I went into my new classroom I saw that I didn't have any books for a classroom library. I had a plethora of classroom sets of novels, which was a nice surprise. My co-teacher was nice enough to give me several books that were in her classroom. I added those to the books that I brought with me and this is what my little library looks like...

So, what's a teacher to do? Go to thrift stores, of course! I went to two thrift stores and was very pleasantly surprised at the amount of books!

I paid 40 cents per book and got a lot of great ones! I purchased mostly chapter books, but did find a few picture books.
Just look at all of these lovely titles! :) Once I got them home, I made genre labels and organized the books by genre. I added a label on the front of each book that tells what genre it is and a label on the side to make note that I own the book. 

I'll be sure to post my growing classroom library soon!

5 comments

  1. Wow! You did great growing your library so fast!!

    Rachel
    A Tall Drink of Water

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love NO Talking by Andrew Clements! I used that as a read aloud this year with my third graders...it was a big hit! I love your little library that keeps on growing!
    Erin
    Short and Sassy Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see one of my fans - Holes!!!

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job! You're my kind of shopper!
    I'm also a Tennessee native transplanted to Georgia:)
    Love your blog.
    Julie
    Standards-Based Classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Good for you! Our thrift stores in my area have yucky books mostly. Sometimes our library has sales of books and I can get some good deals there. Fortunately I have about 983 books that belong to me lol When I first went to my current school I upset my lit coach because I didn't want the books they offered me (I had no room -- we get one double sided bookshelf) but then she saw how many I have and she left me alone ;)

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top