Book Talks

I have something to share today that is so easy to implement into any classroom. It is something that has made a HUGE difference in my fifth grade classroom!




I cannot express the impact book talks have had on my students. They are SO easy to implement into any classroom and only take a few minutes. Before we dig deeper, let's look at WHAT book talks are.

Who? Both my students and I participate in book talks. At the beginning of the year, I did most of the book talks. I placed a sign up sheet in the room and allow students to sign up voluntarily.

What? Book talks!

When? I know we are ALL pushed for time. One of the best things about book talks is that you get the BANG for your buck! It doesn't take much instruction time AND your readers will reap the benefits. I allot about 5 minutes at the beginning of every class for a book talk. Sometimes it takes more and sometimes it takes less.

Where? I teach Literacy and Social Studies. I implement book talks in my Literacy block. Even if you don't teach Reading, you can easily share books within the subject you teach! Just last week I shared a graphic novel about Henry Ford. Remember, EVERYONE teaches Reading!

Why? I have seen so many benefits in incorporating book talks this year!
  1. After I do a book talk or a student does a book talk, that book is typically flying off the shelf. They are SO eager to read it!
  2. Students are exposed to TONS of great books. Imagine if you are in school for 180 days (give or take) and someone shares at least one book per day. That is 180 books that students will be exposed to during one school year.
  3. Students are practicing speaking and listening standards.
  4. Students begin to truly see themselves and others as readers. Readers that talk about books. Readers that share books.
  5. Need I go on? :)

How? I allow my students to fill in a book talk form if they'd like or they can practice what they'll say at home. I let them know which day I've assigned them to once they have signed up. Most of the time, the book we have shared is a HOT item that everyone wants. I do a book raffle if I have a lot of interest in the book. I have popsicle sticks in a bucket and will simply pull a stick. Students have two weeks to return that book so that other readers can enjoy it.

Here are a few books that I plan on doing book talks for in the next couple of weeks. I've read them all and they are GREAT!

4 comments

  1. Hi Lana! Great post. :) I love Book Talks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I love the idea of them trying to 'sell' their books! This would work well in an upper grade unit about propaganda as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like book talks as well. I show kids TV commercials from the most outlandish car dealers who are over the top in their selling techniques, then I challenge kids to sell their books as mightily as those horrible dealers. It really brings out the ham in most of my students.

    I also use reader's theater pieces to get my kids excited. I have always used RT and this year I found a new source for good ones at ereaderstheater.com. They have RT on the usual classics, and also on math, science, social studies. I read on how one teacher had her students write their own RT scripts based on their favorite books for that year (see featured teachers under teaching resources). What a great way to get students to sell their books/characters to others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This is great, I also want to recommend this application which is an E leaning that houses OVER A HUNDRED text books and exercises that your child would really love. It will help them improve their perfomance on exams. For more info pleaes click on this site https://techhubcorp.com/solaro

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top